Do I have to insure my domestic help against accidents?

Regular employment
Yes, you must register your domestic help with the competent health insurance institution. This is obligatory in Austria.

The most important facts about accident insurance in brief:

  • it is compulsory in Austria for any employment in the household
  • when you buy a service cheque, accident insurance is already included in the purchase price
  • it protects you against the financial consequences of possible accidents at work of your domestic helpers
  • it can be cancelled at any time if the employment is terminated
  • it applies at the workplace and on the way to work

Self-employed domestic helpers and cleaning companies
If your domestic help is self-employed or you book a cleaning company, you do not need to take out insurance. Be sure to ask to see your domestic help's or cleaning company's business licence and proof of insurance when you first engage them.